On this page, you will find the learning arising from the Making a step change for young carers and their families: Putting it into practice project related to the theme of Health Services, including key messages, tools and resources.
There are many agencies that should be involved in identifying and supporting young carers, including health services. NHS England’s Memorandum of Understanding (coming soon!) is a resource to help promote working together between adults and children’s social care services and enhanced partnership working with health and third sector partners. Read our briefing on Engaging with Health Services.
Webinars & Videos
Webinar: Supporting young carers and their families – Joint working with health services
Promoting a greater understanding of how the health sector can support young carers and their families and share practice and resources for engaging with health services to increase identification and support of young carers and their families.
Watch Video Download Slides
Video: Joint working with health services to support young carers
Tracey Smith from Sandwell Young Carers shares how a multi-agency approach, including working with GPs and schools nurses helps meet the needs of the whole family.
- A checklist of resources for signposting and supporting young carers has been created for health professionals.
- On 31 March 2016, NHS England and the Making a step change project supported Surrey County Council in the delivery of a Young Carers and Health event. Download the slides from the day.
- Royal College of Nursing. School and Community Nurses Supporting Young Carers online learning.
- Royal College of General Practitioners. Carers Support.
- Royal College of General Practitioners. Caring for Carers.
- The Queen’s Nursing Institute. Carers Project Resources.
- Carers Trust. The Triangle of Care.
Supporting Young Carers: the role of Nurses and Public Health – Wendy Nicholson Lead Nurse Children, young people & families Public Health England, Presentation 31 March 2016. Download PDF file here.
Working together: A Memorandum of Understanding – Dave Ross NHS England, Presentation 31 March 2016. Download PDF file here.