Carers Trust and The Children’s Society delivered a one year Department for Education funded project to support the effective implementation of the duties required under the Care Act 2014 and the Children and Families Act 2014 with regard to young carers and their families. This work took place between April 2015 and March 2016.
The information on this website is now available as a hub of resources.
The Making a step change: Putting it into practice project provided consultation, information and support to six ‘Local Authority Trailblazers’ to assist them to develop:
- Models of collaborative whole family approaches to support individuals with care needs to prevent young carers having to offer inappropriate levels of care
- Models of developing assessment and support services which specifically address the needs of young carers and their families
- Processes for identification of the number of local young carers
- Measures to assess the impact of the new duties in the Care Act 2014 and Children and Families Act 2014
- Work collaboratively with schools to better identify and support young carers their families
Following on from the new legislation in 2014 affecting young carers and their families, young people share in this video what works for them when it comes to identification, assessments and support.